3/9/15

Riding the Odds by Lynda Scott Review!





An act of desperation and the beginning of seduction...

Spaceship captain Tara Rowan has her secrets. One is her Rider, Zie. Zie is an organic symbiote—like a living tattoo—that enhances Tara's physical abilities, including superhuman strength and reflexes. The other is the past she's tried so hard to leave behind her. But it's not until oh-so-sexy Trace Munroe decides to blackmail Tara that she realizes her secrets aren't so secret after all...

Trace is a Holy Knight who does everything by the book. Desperate to find a missing princess, he'll do whatever it takes to rescue her and bring her kidnappers to justice. Including blackmail. Yet something about the feisty ship captain draws Trace in and stirs his desire—even if she is a wanted criminal. Because the last thing he needs is any complications...especially when he has his own secrets to hide.

   Riding the Odds was full of everything I love in books. It had jealousy, action, alpha males, kick-ass women who don't think of themselves when they should be, and a story line that will have your heart racing. It has an engaging start which is crucial for me in books, and I was pulled into the story immediately. Also, the plot is one that everyone will like, I think.  The only small problem I had was with the world building because it is a little hard to grasp at times. This book obviously features a futuristic world, but the terms and places leave the reader a little lost without explanation. However, that didn’t take that much away from the story for me because I was focused on the characters and action, not the explanations of the places and their significance.

   Now, on to the characters! The characters were really complex and well rounded. I really got a feel for them as I read the book, and that's really important to me as a reader. I loved Tara Rowan and Zie, Tara’s rider. The idea of a Rider or a living entity on your skin like a living tattoo is pretty awesome. It was always interesting to see them interact in the book. Tara is a character that I cheered for throughout the book and wanted to protect. I felt for her on an emotional level and I wanted things to go her way. Trace, the hero of the story, blackmailing her just adds to your protectiveness of her. I kind of hated Trace for it, but then again, I knew he is doing it for a good reason. Trace is a hottie, that's for sure, but I didn't trust him at first. I had a feeling he was going to hurt Tara, and even though I love books where the hero makes a plan that ends up hurting the heroine but then he still falls for her, the betrayal still hurts. To add to that, I loved how Tara and Trace's relationship was a slow burn and when it came to light there was no stopping the passion.

    I liked the dual POV in Riding the Odds too. It allowed me to see both sides of what Tara and Trace felt, which was crucial in this book. It made me not hate Trace as much for blackmailing Tara. The dual POV also gives us two different views of the action that happens and I liked that. This story is fast paced, and there is never a moment lacking in action or emotion. I didn't expected to love this book as much as a did. I was surprised when this book made me tear up a time or two because it just got to me. The greatest books will make you feel something so much that you just feel overwhelmed and that's how I felt with this book. I haven't read a lot of futuristic otherworldly books, but Riding the Odds is pushing me to start. The ending had me feeling elated and overjoyed. I loved it. Although, the world is a little confusing and could have used a little work in the building and clarifying, I think this book is great! I highly recommend it to sci-fi, space, or futuristic genre lovers. Even if you like adult fantasy I think you will like this book! I give it four out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment