5/19/15

Run Away by Laura Salters Review!



 
“Ignorance is bliss...until there’s blood involved”
Drenched in blood and sitting in the sweltering interview room of a Thai police station, Kayla Finch knows that Sam, the love of her life, is dead. It doesn't matter that there's no body. All that blood can only mean one thing.
It isn't the first time Kayla's had blood on her hands. After finding her brother dead by his own hand, she tried to outrun her grief by escaping to Thailand. Heart-broken, the last thing she expected was to find love on the smoggy streets of Bangkok. But everyone Kayla loves seems to wind up dead.
Returning home to England, Kayla is left with a barely-functioning family, a string of gruesome nightmares and the niggling feeling that nothing is as it seems. And as she confronts her brother's suicide, she starts to suspect that something is very wrong.
Three months. Two tragedies. One connection: there's more to both cases than anyone is willing to admit. And Kayla’s determined to uncover the truth…no matter what the cost.
I have to say, the beginning of Run Away really draws you in. It's rare that I read a book that has me hooked instantly from the first page, but this one had that kind of beginning. Run Away alternates in view from Kayla’s present to past. I'm usually not fond of that, but in this book it is needed and it just fits. As you read about Kayla’s past you get to learn more about her and Sam, which is crucial. We get to understand the real Kayla because the present Kayla is full of grief. Then as the story goes on we get to know who Sam is, which is painful because we already THINK we know what happens to him. However, it was so fun reading about their adventures together. They both have great senses of humor and there were many times that I had to laugh at their antics. Kayla's story is one to break hearts. Every pages turned is like a knife to the heart because we learn more about what she went through with her brother and Sam, and then we discover her growing relationship with Sam. However, knowing something bad might have happened to him makes their growing relationship in her past POV a little painful to read about.
One thing I like about this book is that it really explored the feelings of loss and grief. It's so raw and real that it makes the story seem more real as well. Honestly, reading this book was intense. There was a constant buildup of anticipation from the beginning until the very end. Every page was a mystery uncovered and one step closer to figuring out what happened with Sam. It's really captivating. There was never a moment that I was bored. I could practically feel Kayla's determination and pain through the whole book and it made me want to read more. It made me want to find out what happened to Sam too. I don't usually pick up murder mystery books, but I'm glad Salters approached me about reading her book. It makes me want to read more books like it.
 Run Away really took me by surprise. I NEVER expected the ending that I was given, and I never expected the crazy ride I was taken on. The shift in POVs from before the "event" and after throughout the book drove me crazy but in a good way. Every time I felt like we were getting somewhere in Kayla’s present POV Salters would switch back to the past POV. It was an interesting way to write this thriller and in the end, I loved it. Everything builds up until the very end where the story seems to explode with action and answers. I now remember why thrillers excited and infuriated me. I was kept guessing throughout the whole book, and I didn't know what was going on until the very end. This book really keeps you on your toes, and it will blow your mind in the end. I have to say, I can't wait to see what Salters has in store for me in her next book. The fact that Run Away is her first novel just blows me away. This book is so thought out and complex that it doesn't seem like a first novel to me. I guess that just attests to the fact that Salters is a damn good writer. I was hooked on this book from the beginning and it totally deserves five out of five stars.

Laura Salters
Laura Salters is a YA/NA suspense author (represented by Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary & Media Inc) from Berwick-upon-Tweed, the northernmost town in England. Her debut novel, RUN AWAY, will be published by HarperCollins (Witness Impulse) on May 19. When Laura isn't writing, reading or thinking about writing or reading, she's a music lover (and terrible singer), pet cuddler, beach-goer, runner (*cough* jogger), passionate foodie, caffeine addict, tennis player, lipstick wearer, Harry Potter fangirl (yes, still), housework dodger and relentless chatterbox.

 
Check her out on all of her social media accounts! She is a sweetheart.
Social Media Links

If you think Run Away is a book that you would love like me then check it out!
RUN AWAY Links

No comments:

Post a Comment