7/14/21

REVIEW: Lair of Bones (Curse of the Cyren Queen #1) By Helen Scheuerer


Author
: Helen Scheuerer
Genre: YA Fantasy
Date Published: July, 14 2021
Page Number: 474

A deadly contest. A vaulting ambition. How far will one cyren go to win?

Mighty cyrens have ruled the ancient lair of Saddoriel for centuries. A cavernous fortress, a subterranean labyrinth of tunnels and levels, powered by magic and music…

From the moment she was born, Roh, the daughter of an infamous criminal, has been despised by her own kind. Restricted to the Lower Sector and forced to work as a common bone cleaner, she has always believed she belongs above: where lies adventure… and power.

Opportunity arises in the form of the Queen’s Tournament, a treacherous set of trials that could see the victor crowned ruler of the entire lair. Up against the most cunning, dangerous cyrens in all the realms, does Roh stand a chance?

A Lair of Bones is the first gripping book in the dark fantasy quartet, Curse of the Cyren Queen.



     Right off the bat, I have to say that the characters were amazingly unique. They each had their own personalities and vibe, and they didn’t blend together like secondary characters tend to do. They stood out and that definitely goes for Roh, our heroine. I’ve always enjoyed the underdog stories and I was so invested in Roh’s story that I felt every hurtful remark or barb thrown her way and every instance she felt “less than”. My heart hurt for her many times, but I also cheered for her just as much. She is a main character that is relentless, determined, a little morally grey at times, but ultimately she is a character to which many readers will relate. I’m excited to see what her journey looks like next!

     As far as the world building and storytelling, it was excellent and I enjoyed uncovering new characteristics of the world. The plot flowed well, though the amount of exposition left me feeling weighed down at times. Don’t get me wrong, I still highly enjoyed the book and I will definitely be grabbing the second when it’s available, it’s just that I wanted more action and dialogue. The large amount of exposition and lack of balance with dialogue left me feeling like the story was being drawn out, but given how invested I was in Roh's story, I was still determined to continue. This being the first book in a series, I understand the need for world building and setting up the basis for reader, but at times I felt like action and dialogue were needed where exposition was placed. But the story itself kept me hooked on what would happen next, so it didn’t stop me from reading by any means. I just hope the next installment has the action and dialogue I’m looking for.

     In the end, I really enjoyed this new world, and I cannot wait to see where Roh goes next. I give it three out of five stars and I definitely recommend this series to Throne of Glass fans or readers who enjoy an underdog story.


Sound like something you will love? Check it out on Goodreads (be sure to add it to your TBR list), and head over to Amazon to get your copy today! 

P.S. I recommend buying the physical copy of the book because the cover is gorgeous and it will look AMAZING on your bookshelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment