9/24/19

Review: Unearthed (Death Seeker #1) by Cecy Robson


Author: Cecy Robson
Genre:  Urban Fantasy
Date Published: September 24, 2019
Page Number: 331 

Fae was once a flourishing paradise. Until Death turned greedy and destroyed it, targeting the creatures who inhabited it. Those who survived escaped to Earth’s realm, but Death wasn’t far behind . . .

Olivia Finn is just another pixie trying to blend in among humans and hide from the death hounds who devoured her family. Clinging to the talisman that keeps her veiled from those who hunt her, she believes she is safe. . .. Until Death finds her and discovers she’s immune to its grip.

Now that Olivia’s power is unearthed, she is sought by Fae who see her as their savior and stalked by dark entities compelled to destroy her. Can she trust the King of the Dead who has sworn to train and protect her? Or should she obey her instincts that warn he desires more?

Olivia can no longer hide from Death.

To survive, she must seek it.

This book sounds amazing, right? Read on for my review and if you think this book is for you then be sure to check out the GIVEAWAY for a $50 Amazon gift card at the end so you can get a copy (and more) for yourself!

Review:

If some of you have been following my reviews for a while you may have noticed that I love Cecy’s writing style, and Unearthed is no different. Urban Fantasy is one of my favorite genres and with Cecy’s added flare, this book hits all the marks for me. 

I love how Cecy writes her characters. Her characters are always very unique and well rounded no matter their importance to the story. Most books focus on the main character, the love interest, and the villain with little focus and attention to the secondary characters, but I can tell with Cecy’s novels that she pays special attention to the secondary characters to make them more than just background pieces. By doing this, Cecy really creates a whole world in her books and it makes me feel like I am in the story because everything is so detailed and realistic. Olivia, the main character, is my favorite type of heroine. She is the type of girl that most would dismiss as weak and easily scared, but in reality, she is a badass that will kill you in a heartbeat given the proper motivation. She is a heroine that I cheered for as the book progressed and I felt an attachment to her because of her tough exterior but kind heart.  Her love interest also complimented her complex personality and demeanor as he was someone you wouldn’t imagine a pixie falling for. I just really loved how Cecy played with her characters.

The setting was also a high point for me. Urban Fantasy novels can sometimes be confusing as they often intertwine magic and regular humans and that can leave readers with questions regarding the mechanics of things, but Cecy does an amazing job of explaining the ins and outs of this new world without it seeming like a dictionary entry. She blends explanation in with funny interactions and exciting fights that you feel as if you are experiencing the world yourself. Speaking of funny, I found that Cecy once again created a main character that made me laugh with her witty remarks and snappy comebacks. Those funny moments were a nice break from the tension filled story. I just really enjoyed everything about this novel from the fantastical creatures like dragons, gargoyles, and grim reapers to the tense battle scenes that had me on the edge of my seat, unsure of what the outcome would be.


I definitely cannot wait for the next installment of this series because I am hooked on Oliva’s story. I give Unearthed four out of five stars, only because I wanted more romance (but I know there is more to come)! 


Get your copy now and don't forget to add it to your Goodreads list!



Follow this link to enter the Giveaway to win a $50 Amazon gift card (which you can use to buy Unearthed) !


CECY ROBSON is an international and multi-award-winning author of over twenty-five character driven novels. A registered nurse of eighteen years, Cecy spends her free time creating magical worlds, heart-stopping romance, and young adult adventure. After receiving two RITA® nominations, the Maggie Award, the Award of Excellence, and a National Reader’s Choice Award nomination, you can still find Cecy laughing, crying, and cheering on her characters as she pens her next story.

Connect with Cecy:

3 comments:

  1. I loved the setting too Ivey. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were so sweet to read and feature UNEARTHED. I'm so happy you enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first Cecy Robson book and I really enjoyed it! I'm with you in that I definitely want more romance (I love Olivia and Ryker!) but it's coming... It's definitely coming. :)

    ReplyDelete