12/15/14

Anomaly by Tonya Kuper Review!



Reality is only an illusion.

Except for those who can control it…

Worst. Birthday. Ever.

My first boyfriend dumped me—happy birthday, Josie!—my dad is who knows where, I have some weird virus that makes me want to hurl, and now my ex is licking another girl’s tonsils. Oh, and I’m officially the same age as my brother was when he died. Yeah, today is about as fun-filled as the swamps of Dagobah. But then weird things start happening…

Like I make something materialize just by thinking about it.

When hottily-hot badass Reid Wentworth shows up on a motorcycle, everything changes. Like, everything. Who I am. My family. What really happened to my brother. Existence. I am Oculi, and I have the ability to change reality with my thoughts. Now Reid, in all his hotness, is charged with guiding and protecting me as I begin learning how to bend reality. And he’s the only thing standing between me and the secret organization that wants me dead…

    Anomaly quickly become one of my favorite books of this year!  From page one, I instantly connected with Josie and I practically fell into her shoes as the book went on. I mean, this girl had a Big Bang Theory themed birthday cake. She is literally me. Josie is a nerd just like me...she just happens to be a million times smarter, but she is someone everyone can relate to. I felt like I was in Josie’s head throughout the whole book because she is written so clearly and emotional that it is hard not to feel like you are her throughout the book. The situations she is put in makes you feel for her too. The training Josie had to go through was intense and it had me biting my nails. Also, Josie having to deal with her mom and how cold she was just broke my heart. There was one scene in the book that I just...I had to cry. My heart hurt for Josie. I was so mad at her mom. Only the best books make you feel so strongly about things that happen in the book. Now, let’s talk about Reid. His introduction was *fans self* hot. I am a sucker for a guy on a motorcycle. Reid’s character is fascinating from the start and as the story progresses we begin to uncover more and more about him. Reid is just so lovable in Anomaly.  He is protective, playful, powerful, and extremely hot. You really can't go wrong with that. The scenes between him and Josie are always electric, and THAT POOL TABLE SCENE, whew boy. I was feeling a little flushed after that. I'm telling you it was something else.

    I also loved the dual POV in Anomaly. Being able to see Josie and Reid’s POV just blew the story wide open. We were able to see two sides of the story which is really important in the book especially with the concept of these special powers. The aspect of the Oculi and people being able to just imagine or push things into existence is amazing and extremely creative. I have never read about such a concept and it fascinated me. I was chomping at the bit wanting to know what an Anomaly was, what happened to Josie’s brother and dad, and what makes her so powerful. This book had me hooked. To top all of it off there are plot twists that will have you staring at the book in shock and then screaming. I am telling you, this book will have your emotions all over the place! I seriously couldn’t put the book down so I read it in three hours. By the time I got to the end, I was begging for book two. Tonya weaves an intricate and creative tale of a girl who struggles with powers she never knew she had and two organizations, one who needs her help desperately and one who wants to kill her. This book is full of badass powers, a kickass heroine, and a gorgeous boy who would do anything to protect her. I give it five out of five stars, easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment