6/5/15

Author Interview: Janet Lee Carey, Author of In the Time of Dragon Moon!


 
 
Beware the dark moon time when love and murder intertwine
                All Uma wants is to become a healer like her father and be accepted by her tribe. But when the mad queen abducts her and takes her north, Uma’s told she must use her healing skills to cure the infertile queen by Dragon Moon, or be burned at the stake. Uma soon learns the queen isn’t the only danger she’s up against. A hidden killer out for royal blood slays the royal heir. The murder is made to look like an accident, but Uma, and the king’s nephew Jackrun, sense the darker truth. Together, they must use their combined powers to outwit a secret plot to overthrow the Pendragon throne. But are they strong enough to overcome a murderer aided by prophecy and cloaked in magic? 

The book sounds amazing, right? Spoil alert, it is. You can even read my review of it here: http://thehopelessreader.blogspot.com/2015/05/in-time-of-dragon-moon-by-janet-lee.html I was so happy when Janet approached me about doing an interview, and I immediately jumped at the chance. So here is my interview with Janet, a fellow dragon lover and amazing authors, and I hope you enjoy!
Ivey : Janet, I am a huge dragon fan. Since your most recent books have been about dragons, I had to read them. What inspired you to write about dragons?

Janet: I read fairytales in winter. After reading too many stories about perfect princesses and nasty dragons, I decided to mix it up a little, and create a flawed princess (with a dragon’s claw) and a brilliant, ferocious dragon readers could meet in his own domain. Thus Wilde Island book one Dragon’s Keep was born. After that there was no looking back. Dragons have been a central part of my fantasy storytelling ever since.  
 

Ivey : I have to say, I appreciate your decision to write about dragons. What is the most difficult part of creating a whole new fantasy world?

Janet: Making an imagined world seem real. From chapter one, the reader should feel as if they have entered a real place. This means deft description, sensory writing, and a lively vivid setting. It also means giving the world a cosmology, a history, unique peoples, languages, and cultures. It’s such a tough set of challenges, I teach a world-building workshop on the subject.
 
Ivey: You do a wonderful job of creating your own world I have to say, and I wish I could attend your workshop. I am all for writing workshops. That being said, what is your favorite thing about being an author?

Janet: The whole crazy creative process of novel writing. Stephen King likens it to archeology—digging down for story. I also love being a part of a great local writing community, and connecting with readers.

Ivey: What a beautiful way to put the process of writing. Speaking of, do you have any writing projects in the works that you can tell us about?

Janet: I’m working on a fantasy set in yet another world which brings in a new undersea kingdom, but I won’t say more than that. It’s a secret project right now.
 
Ivey: Oh I love secret projects. I am excited to discover what you have in store for readers next! On another note, do you plan to explore any different genres in the future?

Janet: I sometimes write for younger audiences. So I’m also working on a zany fantasy for readers 4th grade and up, laughing a lot as I write.

Ivey: That is so cool. Now time for the fun part! If you had a dragon, what would he/she look like and act like?
 
Janet: She would look like this:



And she’d act like Vazan from In The Time of Dragon Moon. A no nonsense regal dragon who would never demean herself, yet would go to the ends of the earth to fight for those she loves.

Ivey: That sounds like a dragon I would love! What about you guys, the readers, what would your dragon look like? Comment below and let’s talk dragons!

(Photo credit: Heidi Pettit)

A little bit more about Janet:
Janet Lee Carey grew up in the bay area under towering redwoods that whispered secrets in the wind. When she was a child she dreamed of becoming a mermaid (this never happened).She also dreamed of becoming a published writer (this did happen after many years of rejection). She is now an award-winning author of nine novels for children and teens. Her Wilde Island Chronicles are ALA Best Books for Young Adults. She won the 2005 Mark Twain Award and was finalist for the Washington State Book Award. Janet links each new book with a charitable organization empowering youth to read and reach out. She tours the U.S. and abroad presenting at schools, book festivals and conferences for writers, teachers, and librarians. Janet and her family live near Seattle by a lake where rising morning mist forms into the shape of dragons. She writes daily with her imperious cat, Uke, seated on her lap. Uke is jealous of the keyboard. If Janet truly understood her place in the world, she would reserve her fingers for the sole purpose of scratching behind Uke’s ear, but humans are very hard to train.
Now that you know a little bit more about Janet you can head over to her website and discover her books! I highly recommend it

Also, if you want to know more about In the Time of Dragon Moon, you can watch the book trailer for it here. Trust me, you will definitely want to.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment