9/19/21

Review: The Stars Beyond the Stone (The Price of Magic #3) by Bonnie Wynne!

 


Author
: Bonnie Wynne
Genre: YA Fantasy 
Date Published: September 16, 2021
Publisher: Talem Press & Writer's Edit
Page Number: 432 

The Scions roam free, and only the sorceress can hunt them…

After the battle with storm god Molech Suun, a city is in ruins and a new Archmage holds the Syndicate’s leash.

But while Gwyn has accepted her fate – to hunt down and destroy the remaining Scions – her loyalty is still to her old master Faolan, held captive by a cunning necromancer.

Saving Faolan means leaving the wizards and the Clockwork City behind.

With the shapeshifter Lucian at her side, Gwyn embarks on a dangerous journey across the sea, to lands where pirate kings rule and wild magic sings.

But sorceresses are heir to a dark legacy of blood – and Gwyn soon finds that she’s the one being hunted.

The Scions want her dead, and a new enemy sends threats and warnings that can’t be ignored.

As Gwyn struggles to balance her desires and her destiny, she finds herself unprepared for what awaits her beyond the city walls.

And far to the south, amid the ashes of a fallen kingdom, a familiar foe is setting deadly plans in motion…

The Stars Beyond the Stone is the dazzling third instalment in Bonnie Wynne’s epic fantasy saga, The Price of Magic.

     The Stars Beyond the Stone blew me away and I finished it in one sitting! I couldn’t remember where we left off in the second novel, but it didn’t take me long to get my bearings and once I did, I was fully immersed into Gwyn’s journey once again. 

     Gwyn really stuck out to me in this novel because I felt like we got to see who she was meant to be without the struggle of dealing with her magic or coming to terms with it, and readers get to see the powerful main character that makes this novel so addicting. I was also thrilled that we got to see her and Lucian’s relationship progress because I did miss that aspect in the first two installments, but Bonnie more than made up for it in this book! Seeing Gwyn open up to Lucian and show us a different side of her when she doesn’t have to wear this other sorceress persona was the highlight of the novel for me. However, seeing her use her powers and be a badass when needed kept me coming back for more. 

     Along with the continued greatness of the characters, I felt like the plot worked so well with the characterization that this installment seemed to propel me to the finish line, which I loved but also hated. By the end of the book, I felt like I finished way too fast and wanted the book to go on for four hundred more pages! Especially with the ending Bonnie left us with, I was begging for more. Nevertheless, the plot and pacing were seamless and mixed well to create a novel that kept me engaged until the very end. To say that I am desperate for the next installment is an understatement because I need to know what happens to Gwyn next. 
     
     If you love fantasy novels featuring a heroine that can hold her own and fights for what is right with an unmatched passion along with a group of friends who support her to the end plus a little romance on the side then this is a series for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment